R
U

M

-
The LOTR Movie Site
November 12, 1999

Another Arwen Thought
Mark

First of all, it seems to me that there is no real proof that Eowyn will be cut from the 3-movie production. The only information available suggests that Peter Jackson would like to increase the visibility of both Arwen and the Arwen-Aragon relationship in the films.  Although combining multiple characters into one in book-to-film adaptation is a common practice, it seems to me that until we hear otherwise, both Eowyn and Arwen are in.

I respect the concerns of those who wish to see the movies as close to Professor Tolkien's original conception as possible. Yet, I have always felt that female characters were neglected in the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings. With the notable exception of Galadrial and Eowyn, women, when present at all, tend not to be integral to the story and their characters are not developed. Such a statement, I am sure, is an anathema to Tolkien purists, and to them, I apologize.

I therefore believe it unlikely that Jackson would cut one of the three (ok, five if you count Lobelia and Shelob) female characters in the story. 

But, without cutting Eowyn, how could Peter Jackson increase Arwen's visibility and give her a more active role? Here is my hunch: Arwen will replace Glorfindel in the "flight to Rivendel" sequence. Glorfindel is not integral to the story (once again, I apologize to the true believers) and his (or her) rescue of the hobbits and Aragorn would be an effective way to introduce her, provide the "Xena" aspect to her personality that we have heard so much conjecture about, and set up the "romantic scenes" after they all arrive at Rivendel.

As I said, this is just a hunch. Another (not mutually exclusive) possibility would be for Arwen to replace her brothers in the final part of the story. Unfortunately, bringing Arwen to Minas Tirith prior to the final battle scenes would easily allow her to replace Eowyn in the show down with the Witchking. 

I hope this is not the case. I would love to see Arwen have a more active role in the story, and I would even be willing to sacrifice Glorfindel to do it. However, I cant help but say, for the same reasons presented by many others, that cutting Eowyn would be a horrible mistake. Let's hope that this is not the case.