R
U

M

-
The LOTR Movie Site
November 20, 1999

Response to "My Opinion on the Bakshi Film"
David Bass

Well, you certainly bring up some valid points in your article. However, I believe you miss the intent behind the string of essays on the Bakshi movie. The sole purpose of those articles is for us to laugh at the many errors that did occur in the films, while noticing and giving credit to the good parts. I certainly don't hate the Bakshi movie, but any Tolkien purist has to agree that there are many errors that were either overlooked, or not included in the original cartoon.

When you say that there's nothing wrong with people walking around when you talk, then I've got to say I couldn't agree with you more. The only problem is that Bakshi simply cannot have two people sit down and have a conversation without one of them standing and making bombastic movements with his hands. A case in point is near the middle of the movie, the council of Elrond to be precise, when they're all talking about what they should do with the Ring. Whenever anyone is talking, they stand up and move their hands all over the place. This is not normal cartooning, and even you have to agree that it could have been done a lot better.

Anyway, I just wanted to get on and post my feelings about the situation. Again I stress that the articles are supposed to be fun and entertaining, so please don't take any of the criticism to heart.