The LOTR Movie Site
August 18, 2000

In Response to Entwife and Frank H.
John K.

I really think the crux of the matter is, changes to the storyline. Not artistic vision, in the sense of visuals. It is exactly right, that if I made a LOTR movie, my Elves, Hobbits and Dwarves, or any being for that matter or set will probably differ a great deal from someone else creating a LOTR movie.

It's the storyline though, thats so completely there, and it's so good! I see no reason to change it drastically, only to change it to fit three two hour movies. A lot of people just don't see the need for a change like Arwen warrior princess, or a new love story or a new Elvish army, instead they'd rather see the real "The Lord of the Rings" story portrayed.

If I'm going to see a movie called "The Lord of the Rings: Part I The Fellowship of the Ring," I'd really expect to see Tolkien's story, at least to a good degree. If not, and there are tons of profound storyline changes, why call it that? I'd rather see it called "Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings," in that case.

Anyone expecting visuals to be completely precise is misguided I agree, although Tolkien did really go into great detail about Middle Earth and it's characters. But I really think it's the dialogue, the script, the story changes which may be profound, that people are most up in arms about.

Granted we haven't seen the script and only have heard rumors (some seemingly more accurate than others). But I don't see anything wrong with people wanting the integrity of their beloved story upheld, at least to a degree where it doesn't conflict too heavily with the book's story. Jackson himself has stated that he intends to go by the book the best he can and not deviate too much from "what we know and love."

I just wonder, if things like actual blacksmiths creating armor, actual runes on Eomer's helm, all this incredible detail going into the film to make it very true to Middle Earth, then why change the storyline so much, if that is what indeed ends up happening? It certainly will be cut up to fit the time constraints, I just see no need for any crazy changes and new additions to the great story.

Lastly, in regards to Frank H. I don't see any reason why someone being American or not, has anything to do with LOTR debate.