The LOTR Movie Site
September 30, 2000

Let the Books Speak For Themselves
Robert E.

Back and forth, back and forth we go on the debate about the alteration of women's roles in the upcoming movies. I to would like to see the movie follow the book as closely as possible, and this, in my opinion is not to the belittlement of women anywhere. Anyone who's read the books can plainly see the importance of Galadriel and Eowyn for example. Who can forget the terror and reverence of the different fellowship members upon meeting the golden lady of the woods? And do we forget Eowyn's stand over her lord and king? She fell the most fearsome of Sauron's captain's in combat, a feat that was not matched in one on one combat by any other of the characters in the book! The point is, we don't need any expansions or modernizations of these tales. Tolkien saw the need to include women, strong women (whatever that means), in his works and did so. They may not have had a lot of pages devoted to them, but they were pivotal just the same. Quality not quantity one might argue. I say, let the books speak for themselves.