The LOTR Movie Site
October 4, 2000

Why Arwen?
Coleman R.

First I'd like to say that I agree with Mark S. in this issue. Jackson's decision to put a sword in Arwen's hands is a major error!

Why Arwen anyway? If I were Jackson and I had to increase any female role it would be Galadriel's. Galadriel is a far more intriguing character and has a lot more to do with the story. Sure Arwen is the daughter of Elrond half-elven and soon to be Queen of Gondor but Galadriel is already a Queen in her own right and had already been in Middle-Earth for over 500 years before even Elrond's parents were born. She also has one of The Three Rings and The Elessar (before she gives it to Aragorn), these two things alone set her far above Arwen. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying we put a sword in her hands but I am saying take it out of Arwen's. Don't we alredy have a sword weilding maiden anyway? I haven't heard any talking of Eowyn even though she has a large enough role. I think it was mighty daring of Tolkien to have a woman slay The Lord of the Ringwraiths.

I ask agian, why Arwen? Tolkien didn't intend her to have a large, exciting role so why give her one?