The LOTR Movie Site
November 1, 2000

Bombadil, Treebeard, and Beorn?
Cicily T.

The renewed interest in the theories surrounding Tom Bombadil pose interesting speculations on other strange inhabitants of Middle Earth. Personally, I like the theory that Bombadil (and Goldberry) are "outside" of Middle Earth. This has me reflecting on the presence of Beorn from "The Hobbit". Beorn was able to control his environment and he kept close communications with the forested inhabitants, although his powers were, evidently, not as strong as Bombadil's; he did seem to be able to maintain a small perimeter as his "kingdom". It is also noted that Beorn is a shapeshifter, but what I find interesting, is that, like, Bombadil and Treebeard, he seems to be almost an "otherworldly" creature, thrown in to the realm of Middle Earth as an unforgettable presence.

In regards to the Liv Tyler and Cate Blanchett miscasting, I agree that these parts would have been better suited for actresses in their mid-thirties rather than twenty-somethings. Surely, there are some great actresses out there, that have not yet been made into starlets, and would be convincing in the dynamic roles of Arwen Evenstar and Galadrial.