The LOTR Movie Site
November 24, 2000

Change Happens
Catherine R.

I love the Lord of the Rings, as I'm sure we all do. But the Lord of the Rings I read may not be the same one you read. As in all works of art, the interpretation of certain details is often left to the viewer. The first time I heard the notion that Frodo and Sam were lovers I was dumbfounded. The thought had never crossed my mind. Peter Jackson's interpretations of the novels are bound to differ somewhat from my own. I expect that he will draw on his experiences when recreating the novels just as I draw on mine when I read them.

And as with anything, as time changes so do our interpretations. When Tolkien wrote his famous books it was a different age. Hollywood has done remakes of many movies-some good, some bad. The ones I tend to enjoy the most are those with scripts that make sense for today's movie goers. A writer is bound to include nuances of his own time period, but these nuances may interfere with a modern viewing. This updating of a story line is not a perversion, but a reflection on how society has changed.

Finally, let us not forget that Peter Jackson is creating a film, not reissuing the novels. The thoughts of the characters and the comments of the narrator that make books so enjoyable do not typically translate well to the big screen. To have a film worth watching some of the elements of the book must surely be changed. Going back to the old argument on "Tom": although I enjoy the character in the book and his philosophizing, I think it would be a slow point in the movie, unrelated to the rest of the story, and especially confusing to those who have not read the book. As for Arwen, I think I will enjoy watching a strong female on screen. Being a woman who deals almost exclusively with men, I appreciate the occasional feminine interjection. Besides, I think it will add an interesting dynamic to the traveling party. In Tolkien's novel the character Sam often acted the part of the "female" presence. His character often brought a sense of reality and humanness to the story line. I think the addition of Arwen will accomplish as much.

In conclusion, I concede that the movie will not be the same as the novel. Time and venue assure this. However, I believe the end result will be a great film that finally brings one of the greatest stories ever written to the big screen for -almost- all to enjoy.