The LOTR Movie Site
December 19, 2000

More On These Orcs
Chad G.

I have wrote to clear something up from my last article. What I was trying to say was that Jackson's orcs do not fit the descriptions Tolkien gave at all. They have grey skin, not charcoal-black and they have long, Rabbit-ears.

I have *written* to reply to this and your other statements. Their skin may be grey, but the difference between charcoal and grey is only a matter of shade. Grey is every bit as effective as charcoal-black for creating an intimidating beast. And their ears look nothing like a rabbit's.

People are saying that this is because they were Elves corrupted by Morgoth, but if anyone does recall, NOWHERE in Tolkien's books does it say that elves have pointy ears.

True. But nowhere are the ears of either elf or orc described at all. It just so happens the Jackson has chosen the traditional, most instantly recognisable, and easiest way of distinguishing elves from men, so having the Orcs follow Jackson's elf-theme serves to show the relation between Orcs and Elves as *Jackson has visualised it*.

I do NOT agree with WarCraft orcs to be the same as Tolkien's, because they are practically green cavemen.

I agree completely

All I am saying is that the orcs in the trailer are not anywhere near what Tolkien wrote the orcs to look like.

No. They don't look anywhere near how you visualised them to look while reading what Tolkien wrote. They also don't look anywhere near how I have ever visualised them. But neither you nor I are making the movie.

In the Trailer, in the front view scene zooming in on an orc, you will see that this orc has a small round head, huge eyes, grey skin and rabbit-like ears. Even Bakshi's orcs look more like Tolkien orcs than this.

Bakshi's Orcs look like men with badly-drawn cartoon teeth and eyes. If that happens to coincide more with how you envisioned Orcs, well that's good. I, on the other hand, think I'll enjoy Jackson's movies for more than Bakshi's, and for reasons that go far beyond how Orcs have been brought to the screen.