The LOTR Movie Site
January 9, 2001

Old Bombadil is a Merry Fellow
Yvette R.

I'm going to quote from the book:

Frodo asks Goldberry who Tom Bombadil is and she says "He is, as you have seen him, he is the master of the wood, water and hill" Frodo asks "Then all this strange land belongs to him?" Goldberrys reply; No indeed! Thats would indeed be a burden the trees and the grasses and all the things growing or living in the land belong each to them selves. Tom Bombadil is the master. No one has ever caught old Tom Bombadil walking in the forest, wading in the water, leaping on the hill-tops under light and shadow. He has no fear. Tom Bombadil is master."

I think that this is a very important character. It's almost as if Tolkien wanted to make Tom God-like. They were protected in the house of Bombadil. It was almost like divine intervention.They even said a prayer like phrase when they were stuck in the Downs!

If you remember Tom said something to the effect of being older than middle earth. Tom was there before the rivers and the trees. He remembers the first raindrop and the first acorn and before The Dark Lord came from outside. At one point He put the ring on and gave it back to Frodo and He could even see Frodo when Frodo put on the ring. Didn't he even lend them horses? They should have thought thtis part out better. I will be highly dissapointed if he is not in the movie! And Yes, to who ever said Robin Williams should play Tom!!