The LOTR Movie Site
February 1, 2001

Regarding Glorfindel and Other Stuff
Mark W.G.R.

It's been interesting to hear of many people's displeasure regarding the omission of the oft overlooked elf-lord 'Glorfindel' from the movies. In the book, this character intercepts the company just prior to the fords, and their arrival in Rivendell, yet rumours say this task will now be performed by Arwen.

I can't put money on what the final film version will be, but I was witness to some information that hinted Glorfindel may indeed appear briefly in the fords scene, but it will though probably be Arwen that meets them first. So I am to believe he may yet appear in some form, even though there doesn't seem to be any casting info. It would be a shame cut this intriguing, and visually breath-taking character.

Regarding some people's concerns on how the movies will end, Jackson has stated that the story's aftermath and ending (The Grey Havens) is among his favourite moments, being very powerful and emotional, so I think we can be assured that it'll be included as it was in the books. I've also heard that because there is no Tom Bombadil and Barrow Wights, the Hobbits get their swords and gear from Aragorn at Bree. Though I presume they must muddle their way there by themselves, as in the book Bombadil directed them to Bree and to The Prancing Pony, where they take their lodgings.

What excited me most in all this pre-release hype is the intricacy of detail and how true to Tolkien's vision the film is going to be. I am so glad that Jackson is using the books' dialogue in the film, and NOT contemporarising it for the ears of modern movie goers. The eloquence of Tolkien's classic-style English dialogue could have ended up being totally revamped, but I believe it was the success of the reworked 'modern' 'Romeo and Juliet' movie (Leonardo DiCaprio et al) from a few years ago that convinced the studios that there would be no need to tweak and reformat the script to fit in with today's contemporary speech.

Dialect was also an important detail to me, as the cultures of Middle-Earth are so diverse, and accents have to be observed. The Hobbits were written as if they hailed from my part of the world, being the 'shires' of the West of England, and now I understand that they are portrayed in the movie speaking with the West Country accent and brogue that Tolkien appointed them (especially to Sam). I also understand that the Elves will a have a Celtic edge to their speech, and a fair amount of their native tongue will be used (with subtitles) in the film. The likes of Gandalf, Saruman, The Dunedain etc. will have formal English accents, the Rohirrim will speak a variant of Old English, and the men of Gondor will speak with American accents - hence differentiating between all the disparate peoples of Middle-Earth. How all this will be translated for the non-English speaking cinema world God only knows.....!

I wish to amend certain remarks I made in a previous commentary. This was with regards to my initial statement that NOTHING should've been excluded from the book, and that there can't be any room for wanton artistic license in the making of the films. License must be attributed to the creating of this world for film - of course this is an essential element, but I meant not to simply 'make stuff up', or to concoct a gung-ho, Hollywood-ised cliche, just to pull in non-Tolkien audiences to get a few extra bucks. I believe now we collectively have a lesser fear of this, thanks to new information we have, and primarily Jackson's integrity as a film maker and his commitment to Tolkien's vision. Yes there's no Bombadil, Old Man Willow, Crickhollow, Wights, or certain other elements, but Tolkien wrote a novel, and for the visual medium of film a screenplay must be devised which 'adapts' the novel, so those expecting every character, every moment and every line of dialogue from the boo!
k to be in the film, they will be disappointed. But with the film being a separate, stand-alone entity I'm sure it will definitely NOT disappoint in the final analysis- it may very well be jaw-droppingly superb... Ah, but I said that about The Phantom Menace a couple of years ago..... (yikes)

Although The Lord of The Rings is (in my opinion) the greatest literary work ever written, it still has to be a very good screen adaptation to be the greatest MOVIE ever made....