The LOTR Movie Site
February 12, 2001

Reading the Trilogy
Mark N.

In responding to your latest poll, I wish I could have answered "other". I first read The Hobbit and LOTR when I was in college, 30 years ago. I am not sure how many times I have read them again, but it has been most gratifying when reading it WITH each of my wife, and then each of my three children when they became old enough to follow and read along. I was quite serious when I emphasized "with" above, because we would take turns reading. At 30 minutes or so each evening, and skipping some, obviously it took months. But one could not have better "quality time", including a lot of opportunity to discuss morals, and ethics, and honor, and other issues lost in the morass of TV. A little patience is needed, and a tolerance for the lower lung capacity of a youngster; but the rewards are great for all concerned. I suggest you get started now, so that you will finish just about the time the movies come out. And, by the way, it is easier to "hook" them with The Hobbit. Then they are anxious for LOTR.