The LOTR Movie Site
February 16, 2001

To Katrina and Byron
Mark W.G.R.

I fully understand and respect your opinion and position, but don't fully concur, after all, we're all individuals, and have all individually interpretted the vision of Tolkien's stunning saga. But the bottom line is, cutting to the chase, about profit margins at the end of the day -you're right. That's the bottom line for all business ventures. But if you can read some of the information about HOW these films are being made you may be able to absorb how incredibly faithful to detail PJ is trying to be. Such info is available on this site, as well at theonering.net.

How much worse would it be if it was a purely Hollywood adaptation, with Tolkien's work more than likely pillaged beyond recognition? We may have had the likes of Bruce Willis as Aragorn, et al. I honestly believe this film is being made by Peter Jackson because he loves this work, and will stay true to it as much as he is permitted. But it would not be possible to adapt the entire book for the screen word for word. The book can be read at our own leisure, we can be as casual or as in-depth as we like when we read its passages and chapters. When we walk into the cinema we will sit down for perhaps two and a half hours and the tale of each of the three books will be unfolded to us in ITS own time, and its own screen format.

Watching or supporting this movie is not a betrayal of Tolkien though. This movie is a homage to him and his creation. Whether it is good or bad in the final analysis, it is an attempt nonetheless.

But how the final pictures will measure to the books is in large irrelevant, as the two mediums cannot be stood side by side to be compared. Again, these movies will be of a screenplay adaptation - a stand alone work; a 'representation' of Tolkien's story (PJ will claim no more).

Movies are by far the most popular storytelling medium in our culture, and this, being one of the most glorious and celebrated stories ever written has long deserved movie treatment. It will I'm sure prove to be excellent, and very popular to those who perhaps have never had the chance or prior interest to sit down and read a 1000 pages plus epic such as LOTR. Perhaps after seeing the films, they will. And the book's contrasting richness will possibly be the greatest literary experience they will have. And will that not be the best thing that can come of all this hype -new fans?

I still have elements of trepidation myself when anticipating the release of this first film, ie, how will things look, how will they talk and act, how will they portray this scene and that etc. etc? But I will not be viewing Tolkien's vision on screen, I'll be seeing Peter Jackson's. But it won't be a rip off, because I'll willingly walk into the cinema with that knowledge, and no matter how it will undoubtedly differ from the vision in my personal imagination, it will not offend it, and I think I will end up enjoying it immensely, simply for what it is.