The LOTR Movie Site
March 20, 2001

Novelization & Other Abhorrent Merchandising Ploys
Lisa C.

I really hope that this idea to produce a novelization based upon the move/screenplay, does not come about! I used to work in a book store and I can tell you from first hand experience what happens when a major film hits the box office. Do you all remember the "Turtle-Mania" craze that swept through bookstores and toystores alike?

When the Ninja Turtle Movie came out, there were novelizations, coloring books, game books, T-shirts, miniture action dolls, trading cards, boardgames, stuffed baby toys, back-to-school supplies, cartoons and, of course, video games! It was the same thing for Batman and Star Wars. Let's hope that merchandisers aren't going to get greedy and completely cover the stores with LOTR merchandise.

I personally do not want to see a "Mines of Moiria" coloring book, or a stuffed "Tickle-Me-Frodo" baby-toy. But, unfortunately, we live in greedy times folks, and the future of LOTR Movie Memorabelia is all too real. One day you'll be looking through a salesbin, and come across a Gandalf Three-Ring Binder, along next to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle pencil case set. And sadly, both will have been "reduced" several times.