TolkienMovies.com
June 7, 2001

Re: The Women of the...
Ben S.

To start off, I could not agree with you more. Arwen indeed lved with Galadriel for a LONG time, so I always imagined Arwen to possess at least some of the many attributes I admire in Galadriel. I don't think that anyone with a solid backing in Tolkien could stand for some of the things it is rumored Arwen does in the movies. A female elf with a sword? I think Tolkien would roll over in his grave! There are plenty of ways to show Arwen's strength of character other than giving her a sword so she can have at the Witch King! That would take away tremendously from Eowyn's heroic(heroineic?) stand above her fallen uncle at the Battle of Pelennor Fields. One of my favorite parts in the entire book is the passage "It seems that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. 'But no man am I! You look upon a woman. Eowyn I am , Eomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him'"

The other point I would like to mention is that of Arwen replacing Glorfindel. Anyone who has read the Silmarillion knows that Glorfindel was a great hero who sacrificed his life to save the last remnants of the Sack of Gondolin from a Balrog. (Among those he saved was Earendel, Arwen's ancestor.) He was one of only Elves ever reincarnated in Middle Earth. To cut him out and replace him with Arwen would be a grievious offence indeed.

Well, that is all the typing I care to do, although not all I have to say. I just want to say to PJ, leave Arwen and Glorfindel alone!