TolkienMovies.com
June 13, 2001

The Big Picture
Jim W.

First, I would like to say that even though I agree with almost everyone that has submitted an opinion (whether it be about the casting of Tyler, the larger role of Arwen in the movies, the removal of Tom Bombadil from the movies.....), I must also say something that most people might not want to hear. ANY MOVIE THAT TRIES TO CAPTURE THE WHOLE OF TOLKIENS GENIUS IS GOING TO FALL SHORT. I have read the book many times, and every time I read it, some new ripple of this genius is unmasked. So how can you honestly expect a movie to recreate this? Especially when elements of the story are going to be changed in the movies. Another fact people must come to terms with is that, even though Jackson may want to be true to the story, the main purpose of a movie is to make money, and if the first movie flops, then there wont be a second and third! Now I don't know about you, but I would be willing to accept a less than perfect Rings movie than none at all. So if by casting Liv Tyler (who I agree was a poor choi

Secondly (in Response to Pat W.), I don't think that the Hobbits were that poorly done. Granted I don't think they were perfect (and I don't think anything in the movie will be), but they were close, and that's all I expect. The biggest worry I had about the Hobbits were, believe it or not, their feet. Now I haven't seen too many good pictures of their feet, but I have heard that they were both big and hairy. The only complaint I have is that they don't seem pudgy enough.

Finally (about the possibility of a "kiddy" movie), I honestly don't think that this movie will be like that. Judging from the trailer, I think that the movies will have the right feel to them. I also think that the bean-counters at New Line realize that a kiddy movie about the tolkien movies was already attempted (need I remind you about the animated failures), and they would be stupid to try something like that again.

I know I have been quite long winded, but I would like to thank you for giving me the time to tell you what I think.