TolkienMovies.com
June 28, 2001

To Read or Not to Read
TenthWalker

In response to Dean R.'s comments, I believe he has a valid point. Many great books that have been made into movies will now never be read by children and adults alike, simply because they can see the movie instead. Take, for example, the case of "To Kill A Mockingbird" by Harper Lee. A wonderful book, and a very good movie as well. However, because of the movie, I have yet to meet one student who as actually read the book (even though it was assigned). Then again, there is something to be said for movie adaptations. Now I love Lotr as much as anyone else, but it must be admitted that JRR Tolkien's style can get a bit slow at times. So, with the creation of the movies, it can be hoped that instead of turning people off of Lotr it will expose people to it who might otherwise never have even finished the books. For the people who can handle the books the movies will, most likely, only introduce them to the spectacular world of Middle-Earth. Even if more people do choose to see the movie...