TolkienMovies.com
August 31, 2001

Calm Down
Richard H.

Come on people - plagiarism?!? I can't believe this is even being discussed. I'm sorry to have to say this, but some of you really need to get a grip on reality. Please. Its starting to get scary! :)

Look - films aren't just solely the province of commerciality. They can be artistic as well. Just like books...

To say that Tolkien created his works for art, and that alone, is a touch naive. And to think that films based on books should follow the literature it is based on exactly, is bordering on stupidity. It just doesn't happen - in fact it can't in any practical sense! Often the film version can be an improvement - read Jaws, and then watch the film, for an example of the triumph of celluloid over paper. I'm not saying this will be the case for LotR, I don't think it will. But just be rational: Look at the people assembled for this project... Now relax... And now remind yourself that none of you own this work. Tolkien is dead. And his estate sold the rights to produce the film. What's that? SOLD? Oh my god, TOLKIEN'S ESTATE HAS SOLD THE RIGHTS. Well I never - people making money. Tsk Tsk...

Can we start off a more productive discussion please, as this is kind of getting dull... How about, "What is your favourite scene from the trilogy?" Mine's the stand off between Gandalf and the Lord of the Nazgul at the gates of Minas Tirith. How 'bout the rest of you?