TolkienMovies.com - Lord of the Rings movie news, photos, rumors, and more

Home
Forum

January 4, 2003

Somewhere in... Osgiliath?
Happiscotsman

OK, I just saw The Two Towers, and it was one of the most exciting movies I've ever seen at first glance. But upon furhter reflection, there have arisen some fears and doubts in my breast at the way Mr. Jackson seems to be directing this trilogy. DO NOT read any further if you want to avoid spoilers! I can accept Eomer's role being reduced to a walk-on and having him play the rescuer at Helm's Deep instead of Erkenbrand. I can accept Jackson creating suspense in the audience by implying that Arwen will be leaving for the Grey Havens. I can accept Gimli and Legolas expanding their "Odd Couple" relationship with more wisecracks, and Legolas doubting Aragorn's staying at the Hornburg, and the "exorcised" Theoden being shown as willful and foolhardy instead of brave and tactful. I can even accept Haldir and a group of elvish archers showing up at Helm's Deep even though their supposed to be fighting off orcs in Lothlorien, and Aragorn falling off a cliff and stumbling throught the wilderness for 30 minutes like some Messianic figure, and a weak explanation of Gollum/Smeagol's past. WHAT I WILL NOT ABIDE IS THIS MOVIE'S TREATMENT OF THE HEROIC AND HONORABLE CAPTAIN FARAMIR!!! He DID NOT order Sam and Frodo to be taken to Osgiliath, and he DID NOT fall under the Ring's spell like his brother, and he DID give an explanation of how he knew his brother was dead, and most importantly FRODO DID NOT EVER, EVER, EVER, EVER, get that close to a Nazgul!!! The closest they ever got to him was on Weathertop! By showing that scene st the end, Jackson has tipped off Sauron about who actually has the Ring two whole books before he's supposed to know! So when Frodo is brought to Cirith Ungol, his image will already be fixed upon the Great Eye when he enters. I don't know about anyone else, but I see a severe lack og logic here. Hopefully there are some kindred spirits out there that feel the same. By the way, see the movie, it's still fantastic!

Home :: Words :: People :: Images :: Links :: Forum

All content ©1998-2024 by the respective owners.
Not affiliated with the Tolkien Estate or New Line Cinema.
Adeptware :: Custom software development in Ruby on Rails, Java, and PHP