TolkienMovies.com - Lord of the Rings movie news, photos, rumors, and more

Home
Forum

January 2, 2004

RotK Commentary: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut
Bob Praz

Well, I know I’ve been posting often lately, but now that I’ve sat back and read all the other posts, I still have more to say. Bear with me, if you will.

First, my favourite part of ROTK was the whole climax, but in particular I loved the scene on the slopes of Mount Doom where Sam asks Frodo if he remembers the Shire, and Frodo basically replies that the only thing he can still feel, remember, or see is the Ring. Then Sam picks up Frodo and carries him, as Howard Shore plays us a full, rousing version of the Grey Havens theme. In my opinion, it was the most moving and heroic scene in the whole trilogy; the dialogue was great and nearly the same as in the book, the acting was incredible, the music was beautiful, and the environment itself was epic. Other than that, I also loved Faramir’s suicidal charge on Osgiliath (with Pippin’s singing), and the sequence of the Beacons of Gondor.
However, if I had to choose which scenes to add or return into the movie, I would put back the Houses of Healing in order to provide a bit more of a breathing space between the Battle of the Pelennor Fields and the epic climax of the Fall of Sauron. Yet most importantly, it completes the story of Eowyn and Faramir, shows us how Merry recovered and was able to fight again, shows us how Faramir recovered (which, in turn, would add more meaning to Gandalf and Pippin’s role in rescuing him), and demonstrates Aragorn’s qualities outside of battle. Also, it would display the deadly power of the Witch-King, because even though Merry and Eowyn slew him, they grew ill afterwards. I might also add an explanation to how Denethor went mad because he looked into the Palantir, since I find that his story in the movie required much more depth. Hopefully this will all be in the EE anyhow.

In response to - , whose name makes it awkward to address him (hehe), thank you for responding to my questions on the Legolas stunts. I love Legolas as well, but I think PJ went a bit too far in some cases. I believe he did kill a Mumak in the book by shooting it in the eye, and I was expecting to see something like this in the movie, but when he instead slew it with three simultaneous arrows in the head, only to surf down its trunk “Tony Hawk” style, I was a little disappointed by PJ’s taste (maybe he will explain himself on the DVD commentary). Anyhow, it’s just a slight annoyance in an incredible movie. Maybe I’ll grow to like it as well once I’ve seen it a few more times, like I did with his “shield-surfing” at Helm’s Deep. Also, I fully agree with you that Denethor’s death was unnecessary and unrealistic, and hopefully PJ will explain that too on the DVD.

Curiously, I barely realised that Gollum’s fall into the fires of Mount Doom was different from the book. Although it’s perhaps more ironic to have Gollum stumble and fall by himself, like in the book, the way it’s played out in the movie is perhaps even more climactic, and also allows us to have that great moment where we see Gollum holding up the Ring in true happiness (the only such moment in the whole trilogy). Also, someone at TORn remarked that having Frodo reach for Sam’s arm at the Cracks of Doom shows how Frodo has not given up on life, and thus his departure at the Grey Havens was really to find peace with Eru’s blessing, rather than because he had no desire to keep living with his pain.

I’ve now listened to the ROTK soundtrack several dozen times, and I am continuing to do so. Much like the movie, I grow to appreciate it more every time I listen to it. I love how it is both optimistic and apocalyptic, climactic and soft, as well as original and familiar.

Right, well, I think I’ve talked long enough. Although I’ve written about all the topics I can think of at the moment, I suspect I’ll be posting another long commentary ere long (such is my inevitable nature). In the mean time, Happy New Year!

Home :: Words :: People :: Images :: Links :: Forum

All content ©1998-2024 by the respective owners.
Not affiliated with the Tolkien Estate or New Line Cinema.
Adeptware :: Custom software development in Ruby on Rails, Java, and PHP